Thursday 21 February 2013

Duck skin with chilli jam

Duck skin with chilli jam
















Serves 1

Ingredients
Duck skin
1 cube stock
2 large tbsp jam (any jam) I used blackberry
¼ pineapple
Pineapple juice
1 aubergine
Splash of soy sauce
1-2 chillies

After a mammoth shop at our local Wing Yip, amongst a load of other things we got a cooked duck. 

After I had made the Thai red duck curry I had been promising to make for a year, I wanted to do something useful with the leftovers of the duck.  It had a lot less meat on it than I had imagined but there was plenty of skin left over. 

Part of me thinks ‘duck skin’ sounds like a pretty disgusting recipe but this is probably one of my most weird and inventive ones so far.  The pictures don’t really look incredibly appetising either, it’s all dark colours and it looks a bit mucky if I’m honest.  But, if you like trying new (weird) things, do it. 

We had pineapple and aubergine left from the curry so I thought they will definitely mix in somehow.  My main thought was jam and chilli.  Duck does go with sticky sweet things like orange and plum. 

Guess what we had, a shit load of homemade jam.

So there it is, I threw all of the above together and it actually worked. 

********************************************************************************

Collate all your duck skin and left over bits of meat.

I used around a quarter of a pineapple and some of the juice. 

Chop the aubergine and chillies.

There is nothing really to be cooked, just the aubergine needs softening and it all needs heating up. 

Start with the stock, I used a wok but any pan will do. 

Add the pineapple and juice, the aubergines, chillies, soy sauce and duck skin. 

I suggest you may want to add the chilli in in bits, depending on how hot you want it.

Again with the jam you might want to add this a bit at a time until you think the consistency looks adequate and the taste is somewhat acceptable to you.  When I did it, it was very sweet and hot. 

Hope it works out for you.
  
If you want to do the Thai red curry while you’re at it................................ (see last post.)


Duck skin with chilli jam



















Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment