Saturday 9 February 2013

Thai mince part 3 – lab moo experiment


Thai Lab moo, minced beef experiment 3



















Serves 1
15-20 mins
Rating – Very damn hot

Ingredients
150g mince
½ lime
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp palm sugar
2 birdseye chillies
Ginger  
Splash of soy sauce
Green beans 100g –ish
2-3 Celery sticks
Natural yoghurt


My recipe

This was a further experiment with the lab moo recipe which, please note I don’t think I have posted parts one and two yet so do not look for them.

I put a small lump of mince in the freezer for a snack size portion so I’m afraid I don’t know the exact amount but am guessing it’s about 150g.  I took a good picture of it so hopefully that will help. 

Minced beef


A nice dollop of natural yoghurt goes really well to ease the taste of the hot chilli and some healthy celery sticks to spoon it all up.

You will see on the picture I added some tomato but it just ended up totally evaporating.  

The Thais normally make this with minced pork.  Some basic ingredients like the chillies, ginger, lime, palm sugar and fish sauce make the tasty basis, other than that you can try adding whatever.  

If you search for lab moo on google you will find a couple of different Thai recipes.

*****************************************************************************


Mince, celery, chilli, green beans, lime, palm sugar, fish sauce




Chop all your ingredients.

Fry off the mince and then drain away the fat; this is important for this recipe as the end result is just the mince and flavours, there is no sauce.

I use ginger from the freezer and just grate some in.

Add the green beans, fish sauce, chilli, palm sugar and soy sauce.

It shouldn’t take very long; I’d say another 10 mins after the fat is drained.

At the end, squeeze in your lime then give it a taste. 




I always find this bit difficult as I am not a chef so I can never work out what it needs. 

Usually with this one, it’s either not hot enough, because with lab moo chillis are a massive part, I like it really bloody hot, hence the yoghurt. 

If it’s too hot add more sugar and lime. 

If it’s not hot enough and it’s too sweet, more chilli.

As I say all the time with chilli, best to add gradually because you can always add more but once they are in, they are in.  Not everyone enjoys a burnt mouth.  A good hot dish though means guzzling more wine J me likey.

When you are happy (hopefully) with how it tastes, decorate the plate with the celery and a nice dump of yoghurt.

Happy lab moo-ing.



Thai lab moo, Minced beef with celery and natural yoghurt


Enjoy     

No comments:

Post a Comment