Saturday 7 July 2012

Tuna steaks with chips and onion

Tuna Steak with ginger, onion and chive


Ingredients
2 Tuna steaks
Chips
1 onion chopped small and neatly
1 tsp fresh ginger
Handful of fresh chives
Juice of ½ a lime
Olive oil 
Chilli powder (optional) 

This recipe was inspired by a meal I had by the river in Bangkok. 

This is the picture I took in Thailand.

Tuna steak in Bangkok Thailand


Chop the onion and chives; cut the onion finely and neatly.

Mix the onion in a large bowl with the ginger, chives, lime, glug of olive oil and chilli powder. 

Give it a taste then squash down into little pots so when you plate up it keeps its shape. 

Keep in the fridge until serving time.

Get the chips in the oven and cook the steaks on the barbie or griddle pan for 5-6 minutes.

Barbecue Tuna Steaks


Carefully empty the pot of onions alongside your tuna.  If you wish to decorate with the chives see above picture. 

This was my first attempt to recreate one of my favourite Thai meals.  I was rather shocked how good it tasted and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  Apart from on the menu it said onion, chive and ginger I had no idea how it was actually made.  It’s really simple for such a wonderful recipe and although chips are involved it felt like a fine dining experience.

Since that wonderful day I have been meaning to give this dish a bash.    

For my version I decided to use freshly grated ginger out of the freezer.  I chose olive oil and lime to coat the mixture which worked really well. 

I added a sprinkle of chilli powder for a little kick which definitely wasn’t in the original. 

This was one of those meals / days I will never forget. 


Barbecue Tuna Steaks with ginger and onion outside dining


Enjoy         

No comments:

Post a Comment