Friday 28 September 2012

Slow cooked spicy sausages

Slow cooked sausage with chilli, mushroom, tomato, parsley & garlic




Ingredients

1 garlic clove 
1 onion
6 or 7 sausages
150g mushrooms
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 or 2 (hot) birdseye chillis
Handful parsley

Slow cooked sausage with chilli, mushroom, tomato, parsley & garlic


Gather all your ingredients to the chopping board.

Slice the garlic or crush in a pestle and mortar if you prefer.

Slice the onions in semi circles or however you want them.

Chop and prep the other ingredients.

I chop the mushrooms up really small.

Get a decent sized oven dish and put the raw sausages in.

Cover with the tomatoes, chilli, garlic, onion, parsley and mushrooms; add salt and pepper.

Spread the ingredients around equally. 

Cover with foil and cook on a low heat (150 degrees) for 2 to 3 hours. 

I keep a check on it to see whether the oven needs turning up or down to make sure they are not cooking too fast as I have made this up so it is just guess work.  The idea is to get a really slow cooked effect so if you’ve a slow cooker try it in there. 

I love sausages when they are soft and the skin isn’t toughened.  Any sausages will do I just use the thick Richmond ones.      

To accompany the sausages try cooking new potatoes then tossing them in oil and finish them off in the oven about 180 degrees for 10 mins to crisp them up. 

Today I have made home cooked roast potatoes.


Slow cooked sausage with chilli, mushroom, tomato, parsley & garlic with Roast potatoes


I peeled 5 large Maris Pipers and cut them in half and part boiled them for about 10 mins in salted water. 

After draining the water I poured them back into the pan and gave the pan a good shake fluffing up the potatoes.  You can do this by using a fork but this way is quicker. 

Using some cheap sunflower oil put quite a few glugs into a large roasting dish and heat for a min or 2 in the oven about 190.  Add the potatoes.  They will take around 45 mins but you need to get them out every 10-15 mins to make sure they don’t stick to the bottom and using a spoon gather the oil and spoon it over the potatoes.  Do this a couple of times throughout cooking. 
If you’re hungry some nice warm bread goes well with this dish and olives to start with.

I made this for the first time for my boyfriend’s family as a Spanish themed meal, it is my own creation. 

We had olives, hot bread with oli oli which is garlic mayo, extremely popular in Spain.

To make Oli Oli I just crushed a load of garlic as small as I could and mixed with normal 
Hellmans mayo, or for extra garlicy do this with a garlic mayo.  It might sound naff but try it on some nice bread its lovely. 

I also made Spanish lemon chicken but I will post this another time.    
I insist this be served with wine.

Slow cooked sausage with chilli, mushroom, tomato, parsley & garlic with Roast potatoes


Enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment